Letters of Support
Some instrumentation proposals require letters of support that describe institutional support of core facilities and sometimes cost-sharing on the proposal. If you have questions about the institutional Letter of Support, please contact Phil Hockberger, Assistant Vice President for Research (email@example.com). If you have questions about the cost-sharing Letter of Support, please contact Josh Richards, Assistant Grants Officer in the Office for Sponsored Research (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A voucher rewards faculty for purchasing new equipment for a core facility either by writing an instrumentation grant or through recruitment/retention. It can be applied only for use of the purchased equipment.
- Any faculty member who purchases an instrument worth $100,000 or more AND places the instrument in an Office for Research-approved core facility can earn a voucher ($10K for $600K instrument, pro-rated if less).
- The faculty member must obtain prior approval of the core director for placing the instrument in the core *.
- The faculty member will also receive priority sign-up on the new instrument.
- The voucher applies only to the faculty member who is the Principal Investigator (PI) on the grant.
- The voucher can only be applied to use of the new instrument.
- The voucher will be placed in an account in the facility for use by the faculty and his/her staff.
* To determine if an instrument aligns with the operation of a core, the PI and the core director must jointly agree to a management plan that shows how the OVERALL core budget, space, and expertise can accommodate the long-term (at least 3 yrs) maintenance of the instrument. This includes projected revenues, service contracts (if applicable) and salary.
Please contact Phil Hockberger (email@example.com), Assistant VP for Research, if you have questions.
Acknowledgments in Grant Applications and Publications - the use of data generated in a core facility in a grant application, progress report or publication contains the implicit understanding that the PI or authors will acknowledge the use of the core facility. Since many of our facilities are supported by federal agencies, such acknowledgment is mandatory.